Tuesday, November 2, 2010

who am I??

I was born and raised in Montreal. If you have ever been there it can easily be called the gourmet capital of Canada. Of course I'm biased but who cares its my blog..and I love Montreal..hahahah!!

 Growing up I remember every Friday my mom would take us shopping on the boulevard. We always stopped at Slovenia or Hoffner Deli for their famous sausage sandwiches. Of course we ate standing up at the counter with the sausages and spiced meats hanging over our heads. It was very cold outside and the
steam and the smell of the sausages warmed us up. I can still remember the aromas.

Chinatown, the bagel shops baking fresh bagels in wood ovens all day and night, the smoked meat. Montreal was great!

My father was  a chef. They called him "Pierre" of course his name was Petros, an immigrant from a small village in Lakonia Greece. He worked his way up from working as a dishwasher to top chef at several restaurants, and finally opened his own restaurant.

My mom's name was"Beba" short for Haralambia. She was a working mother in the garment factories
of the city. She had me prepare dinner every night from 8 years old.

Food has been a big part of my life. Who am I Greek..Canadian..I think a little of both.

My goal real food, spiced from the heart and soul. My journey with food has been a long one that carries with it many memories and emotions and a never ending love for people and cooking.

Come join my journey, in my quest to convince people to cook, sit at the table with family and friends..and bring back what we have lost in the fast way of life we all lead..Stop and smell the roses..or cinnamon!!!

4 comments:

vag13 said...

Hello from distant Montreal! I stumbled upon your blog and my initial reaction was that you seem like a very passionate person with a sensitivity to the lost beauty of food and its integral role in bringing and keeping people together. i wish you the best of luck on your journey and hope that on that journey you will find more people like you who not only care about food as a means of survival, but as a means of cultural existence!

5 senses said...

Very well said..and thank you for the kind comments.....means of cultural existence..I love it!!

elsavass said...

Congratulations! I love and envy your passion for food. I too feel that we are cooking less and less for our loved ones. Cooking has always been a hobby and secret passion (although not so secret as my size 16 frame would suggest) for me, and I feel that I have less and less time. How I miss the care free days at home with my boys! Good luck, and I look forward to reading your blog.....

5 senses said...

Thank You Elsa. Unfortunately our lack of time means we have no time to cook, to read, to laugh with our friends and family. So the problem is all in the type of lifestyle we are leading. This we need to seriously question.
I too look forward to exchanging ideas and experiences with you.